lördag 22 mars 2014

Jesus in disguise


Every picture tells a story. This is the story of this picture. The man come from Romania and he belongs to the roma (tigani) minority. He came to Sweden to get a job and earn money so that he could support his sick children in Romania. He didn't get a job so he had to start begging for money so that he can get enough money for his trip back to Romania and hopefully some extra money so that he can buy some extra food and clothes for his children when he come back to them again.

I looked him straight in the eyes when I kneeled down in front of him and took the picture. And I got that funny feeling that I looked straight in the eyes of Jesus. I took his hands and said God bless you. But I believe that I was the one that was most blessed by our meeting outside a Swedish store. "The dying, the cripple, the mental, the unwanted, the unloved they are Jesus in disguise" - Mother Teresa.

Most people just ignore the beggars. I usually try to make contact with them. It´s hard for me to speak with them cause they hardly speak anything else then Romanian or Bulgarian and they often don't know how to write or read. I think that it is important that we see them and try to do something about their situation. I work as an PR officer for the Swedish NGO Heart to Heart in Linköping and we try to change the situation for Roma and Rudari people in Romania, both through direct projects as individual help, school projects and through advocacy.




Text and Photo: Mikael Good

Inga kommentarer: