söndag 20 mars 2016

The Cameraman who moved like a mountain goat


I met Ali when I went to Mount Sinai in mars 2012. He is the kind of guy who always have a big smile on his face and I made good contact with him even if my arabic was as bad as his english. Ali made his living by filming tourist groups who went to the summit of the mountain. It was a tough climb to the top. Ali who had been their many times moved like a mountain goat even if he was heavily loaded with a big and bulky video camera. Ali's big dream was to work as a cameraman for the Egyptian movie industry.

The area in Egypt where Mount Sinai and Saint Catherine's Monastery is located was safe when I went there. Today the area is controlled by a terrorist organization that has close bonds to the Islamic state (IS) and because of that there have been a drastic drop of tourists in the area since the Egyptian regime can't guarantee for their security. Many egyptians and bedouins was dependent on tourism to get an income but now they have lost that possibility. I hope that Ali lives his dream today and work for Egyptian movie industri.

Text and Photo: Mikael Good




Inga kommentarer: