fredag 18 mars 2016

This tibetan girl was given a chance to build a better future


This photo of a little tibetan girl from Waxi village in the middle of China is one of my most famous photos and a good example that a picture is worth more than a thousand words. I met the girl on the schoolyard in december 2004 when my wife and I was on a assignment for the Swedish NGO Star of Hope. 

When I met her the living conditions for the girl were really bad. Thanks to the articles my wife wrote and the photos that I took the living conditions in the village changed radically. The local commune decided to rebuild the school, hire more teachers, build a better road and drill for a water supply close to the village. The school also received funding from Sweden, which was used to buy media equipment, school books and sports equipment. The girl and the other children in the village was given better educational opportunities and a chance to build a better future for themselves and their families.

The photo promoted the exhibition Meetings in the Middle of China which was the first photographic exhibition that was displayed at an IKEA store in Sweden. Almost 10.000 people saw the exhibition at IKEA in Jönköping. The exhibition has also been published in LIFE Force Magazine and is also a Permanent Exhibition at 591 Photography Blog.

Text and Photo: Mikael Good

Inga kommentarer: